Thursday, November 17, 2011

The rules of dating (when you are in your late twenties and clueless)

Hi,

Let me be clear on one thing: the last time I was single, I could get wasted and still go to work the next day. I was 22 and things were different. The rules of dating have changed and my mind is spinning even typing out the word "rules," because there are a ton of them. Basically, some bastard in American history created these dating rules in order to mess with our minds.

Trust me. I'm sure there are tons of you freaking out right now, not knowing what I'm even talking about. The people freaking out are the ones who are in relationships. You have forgotten, or like me, the last time you were single was in your early 20's.

I bet my single friends out there are just nodding their heads. 

You see, in college, things were different. You dated someone that you thought was "good enough" or "so hot you just wanted to bang all night." You never thought about the future, or if that guy would pay his bills on time. You were blissfully in love and didn't give a rats ass about the future other than your stupid fairy tale wedding you dreamed about.

When you met that blissful hot piece of man, if the feeling was mutual, you would start dating. No games. No nonsense. Just go for it. Then several years later... you might break up and be exactly where I am right now.

CLUELESS.

There are a TON of dating rules that I've had to learn about, and quick. These rules require quick thinking, being calm, and disregarding anything you learned in General Psychology 101.



Questions I have asked myself and my poor friends who have to put up with me recently...

- Is he going to call?

- If he is going to call, when will he call?

- Does a text message count for the 3-day rule?

- So, if he texted me, does that mean I call him?

- How long should I wait to text him back after he texts me?

- If I text him first, do I seem desperate?

- If he is flakey, do I still let him eat me out?

All legitimate questions... and unfortunately, I have no clue what the answers are. I wish I did. Hopefully, you guys (well, like my one reader), will make me feel less stupid and more human. What are the rules?


Kisses,

Natasha

1 comment:

  1. I know. Isn't it pathetic that you're in your late 20's.. and I'm 30.. and these rules still apply? At what point do we start doing what we feel is right as opposed to the whole "wait two days to call/text" stupid rules? I got out of a long term relationship, and after dating excessively for the past six months... I was surprised to discover they are all still enforced.

    ReplyDelete