Friday, November 18, 2011

Is this first date in my league?

A couple months ago, I decided to join the most classy dating website on the face of the planet: Plenty of Fish (POF). I really hope you sense my sarcasm. 

 I joined it because my single girl friend recommended it. She said you have to weed through bunches of skeeves to actually find good guys. I joined because it's free. I can weed through whatever if I don't have to pay for it.

Earlier this week, I ended up "meeting" this great guy on POF. We ended up chatting online for about 3-hours. THREE HOURS. The next day, we did the same. Then, he called me and we talked for about an hour. During those few days, he emailed me during the day. They weren't stupid one-sentencers either. They were well thought out emails asking me about my life, family, job, etc. I may have found a non-sheeve! Woo-hoo.

Then, on Wednesday, he asked me out. For tonight. He actually took initiative, picked a time and place and made sure that was okay with me. I love him already (too soon?). We are doing dinner at a local chain restaurant in a very busy area of Cleveland.


I'm nervous.

The reason I'm nervous is because he is hot + tall + muscular. My formula for a perfect man. I usually have pretty good self-esteem, despite my curves sometimes giving me a blurry vision of myself. But, I usually date down. Does that make sense? I've realized this about myself and it kinda creeps me out. I guess what I'm trying to say is:

I don't know who's in my league.

Without sounding egotistical, I want to tell you a quick story. A couple years ago, I brought my then-boyfriend out to lunch with a co-worker. We had fun and that was it. Fast forward to when we broke up, and I was talking with my co-worker. Hesitantly, she confessed that when she met my ex-bf for lunch she was surprised and thought I could do better.

(Side note: This is probably the best thing you could tell someone going through a break-up.)

I don't mean to tell you this story because I think I'm hot shit. It's the exact opposite. Did I date "down?" Could I do "better?" How do you know who is "in your league?" And, am I completely shallow for even thinking about this?

Tonight, I'm going with an open-mind. I'm going to try and pretend that maybe I am too hot for this guy. I need any confidence I can find!

I'll be back with a full report.

Natasha

2 comments:

  1. Watch out for Plenty of Fish. The men I met on there were totally cheap! I dated a guy for 8 months from that site.. but dumped him for turning into a cheap ass. And always go for the hot ones, if it doesn't work.. oh well, at least you tried. Good luck with the hottie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know my POF story - he's my current perfectly wonderful boyfriend!

    ReplyDelete